Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Gettin' Busy.

I've notices people have been dropping out of blog school lately. Most of 'em have been starting real school I've noticed. As a college graduate who works a shitty retail job I can tell you FUCK THAT SHIT. It's a waste of time! The hours you spend in the library writing your stupid papers and sitting in classrooms listening to some slightly smart PhD go on about his personal theories about Freud and Shakespeare are fucking WASTED.

Just kidding. Just don't major in English. Seriously. Unless you really really know you want to be a school teacher or college professor, it really is a huge waste of time. Want to be a writer? Don't study writing or literature. Study something useful, and then use that in your writing. What are you gonna do? Write books about going to college and taking classes about books? Or are you just going to re-write other people's work. I spent 3 years as an English major, and I learned nothing of value. I learned nothing about language. I spent 2 years as a Linguistics major (earning a B.A.) and now at least have some idea about how language works. I still have no skills useful to the rest of the world. I can just be a smartass about stuff. Or teach English to teenage jerkbags.

I'm just sayin' if I could do it all over again I'd do something in math or science.

1 comment: